Residence permit in Sweden

Legal assistance with residence permits

A person who is a citizen of a country outside the EU and wants to move to Sweden needs to apply for a residence permit. There are several different reasons to get this granted. It can for example be a work permit, student visa or with a family connection as the reason.

It is important that you have the permit ready when you enter the country and the application can be made via a Swedish embassy, ​​a consulate in the applicant’s home country or via the internet at the Swedish Migration Agency.

The application can be a complex and time consuming. Our experienced team of immigration attorneys can help you navigate the application process and make sure your paperwork is in order and you meet all the necessary requirements. We understand how important it is to meet deadlines, and we will work diligently to ensure that your application is submitted on time. You also receive ongoing support throughout the license period and we ensure that you continue to comply with all relevant laws and regulations. Whether you are applying for a temporary or permanent residence permit, we can provide the legal assistance you need to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Of course, we also offer help and support for those who need to extend their permit or have had their application rejected. Welcome to contact us for a free initial consultation!

Ansöka om uppehållstillstånd
Rätt att söka uppehållstillstånd

Residence permit for EU/EEA citizens

If you have citizenship in another EU country, you have the right to live, study, work and start your own business in Sweden without permission from the Swedish Migration Agency, this is called right of residence. As long as you have sufficient funds to support yourself, you have the right of residence and do not need to apply for a residence permit.

Work permit

As a non-EU citizen, you can apply for a work permit if you either plan to work in Sweden as an employee or start your own company. For those of you who are employees, it applies that you already have a job at the time of entry and that the job must provide a salary that can support the person and possibly accompanying family members. If you plan to move to Sweden to run your own business and will stay for longer than three months, a residence permit is also required. You must also be able to prove that you can support yourself and any family for at least two years.

Student visa 

For studies longer than three months, a residence permit in Sweden is also required for people who are not citizens of an EU country. To apply for this, the student must have already been accepted to a class or program and be able to prove that he or she can support himself during the studies.

Family connection

When a person who is not a citizen of an EU country wants to move to Sweden to live with a relative, they can be entitled to a residence permit for connection. However, this only applies to family members in the form of spouses, registered partners, cohabitants and children under the age of 18. Parents of adult children or adult siblings, on the other hand, cannot normally receive this permission as relatives.

Visa for visits

To visit Sweden for longer than three months as a non-EU citizen, a residence permit is also needed. For stays of less than 90 days, no permit is required, but you may need to apply for a visa.

Welcome to contact our migration lawyers for help, support and advice on all questions that may arise in connection with the application, extension or appeal of a residence permit.