Family Law Attorney - Help with Custody Dispute

We can help you with all custody disputes

Apply for sole custody, questions about visitation rights, maintenance, cooperation talks, the children’s accommodation, etc

In the event of a divorce or a separation, there are important questions that parents of common children are faced with.

  • Should custody be shared or individual?
  • Should the children live alternately between the parents?
  • Who should be the contact parent?
  • Who should be the residential parent?

It’s not unusual that the parents don’t agree on these issues, if so, it’s a good idea to seek the help of a professional lawyer. K Advokater have extensive experience in various types of housing, visitation and custody disputes where we help parents reach the best possible solution for their children.

Housing, access rights, sole custody/joint custody

For the children who live with parents who have separated, it becomes important to know which parent they will live with. Will they sometimes live with dad and sometimes with mom? Who will they live with during school holidays? In order to easily answer these questions, the parents should agree on clear contracts or, alternatively, that the court lay down in a judgment how the accommodation, access and custody should be settled.

The parents can also make a contract or agreement themselves, which they must adhere to, but without having it approved by the social welfare committee in the municipality, it’s not legally binding. In cases where it’s not possible for the parents to come to an agreement, the only thing left is to seek the help of a lawyer who can assist the parent through the court process.

Get help from a Family law attorney

If you have decided to start a legal process, you should before that, have tried to reach a consensual solution in the family court without the whole thing having to lead to a trial. If you still need to hire an attorney, K Advokater can help you as we specialize in family law and have helped many parents in various disputes over the years.

The childrens rights in a separation

The law will always be based on what is best for the child. Sweden as a country is also connected to the Convention on the Rights of the Child, an agreement between different states and nations on what they jointly consider to be children’s rights. According to the convention, children have the right to say what they think in disputes about accommodation, access and custody. It is not uncommon for the social services in your municipality to ask the child what it wants and then inform the judge what the child has said. The older the child is, the more the judge must take the child’s wishes into account in his decision. The Convention on the Rights of the Child, on the other hand, does not set a lower limit for when it must take the child’s views into account. So, unlike what people think, there is no age limit of twelve and according to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child, they state that even young children can form and express opinions.

A legal process is often stressful to go through for most of those involved, but remember that children are always best off being kept out of a conflict between their parents. Also try to always have a good dialogue with social services and family law, which often play an important role in the outcome of these cases.

If you, as a parent, or the child has been subjected to violence, you must immediately make a police report, and there is then the option to apply for a contact ban.

Contact K Advokater and we will help you through the entire process.